ShredIt for Mac OS X Specifications:
Use ShredIt X to:
- erase a file
- erase a Folder
- erase Disk Free Space
- automatic, scheduled erasing of Disk Freespace
- erase previously deleted files
- erase the contents of a Hard Drive
- erase the contents of an external Hard Drive
- erase the contents of a USB Flash Drive
- erase a CD-RW
- erase an Alias
How to use ShredIt:
- Use ShredIt as a File Shredder to shred confidential files on an ongoing basis
- Use ShredIt as a Hard Drive Cleaner to erase a drive so the data can't be recovered before selling or giving away a computer
(The terms "Shred", "Wipe", "Erase" and "Clean" are all used to mean "Secure Delete" - delete data so that it can't be recovered.)
Use ShredIt X the way you’re most comfortable:
- “Drag and drop”
- “Select from menu”
- Click the Button
ShredIt X Safety Features:
Since there is no way to recover an item that is accidentally shredded, ShredIt X comes with built-in safety features, including:
- The “Confirm before Shred” feature. By setting confirmation on, you give yourself an opportunity to cancel shredding of an item.
- The “Safe Place” feature. If you have items you want to protect from accidentally shredding, put them in a Safe Place Folder. Anything stored in a Safe Place Folder cannot be shredded.
- The “Don’t panic” disk shredding feature. Dropping a disk on ShredIt, will only wipe your free space, not your data. We've made it easy to wipe the free space of a disk and more difficult to shred the contents of a disk. This is intentional, so that you don't accidentally shred the contents of a disk (i.e. your data).
- The prominent “Don’t shred an alias” warning. To help prevent accidental shredding of shredding an alias on a Macintosh, ShredIt provides a prominent warning each time you shred, and step-by-step instructions on how to shred an alias safely
- Comprehensive documentation. Clearly written, step-by-step instructions are provided, ensuring you know exactly how to use each feature.
Optional compliance with electronic shredding standards:
- US Department of Defense (DoD 5220)
- US Department of Energy (DoE)
(3 passes: 2 passes of pseudo-random, 3rd pass character picked from DoE menu in the preferences)
For more information, read the policy
[DOE M 205.1-2, ATTACHMENT 4, Overwriting]
A configurable overwrite pattern and number of overwrites.
To run ShredIt X for Mac OS X you need:
- Mac OS X 10.6 or later
- ShredIt X is Mac OS X® 10.8 Mountain Lion compatible